Blackjack is one of the most widespread and most profitable gambling games available in any casino. In blackjack, you can get an edge over a gambling establishment, which is what makes it so popular. This article provides a basic blackjack strategy . With its help, you can reduce the house edge to 0.5%, and professionals who know how to count cards can bring the mathematical expectation to a plus and earn up to 5% of the average bets.
Try the basic strategy of playing free blackjack from Netent .
Basic strategy rules: examples
Below are some examples of how to apply a basic blackjack strategy correctly:
- Situation 1: The dealer reveals his first card in denominations of two, three, four, five, or six. Most likely, he will lose: according to the rules of blackjack , the dealer must take cards until he has 17 points or more. And the probability of the dealer buying a picture or a dozen (cards with ten points) is quite high, there are the most of them in the deck.
- Player actions: According to the rules of the basic strategy, when the dealer has a card from two to four, a player with eleven points or less should buy cards without the possibility of brute-force – stopping at 12 or higher. And if the dealer shows a card from five to six, the player with ten and eleven points should double (Double).
- Sketchy blackjack tableSituation 2: The dealer reveals his first card in denominations of seven, eight, nine, or ten. In the end, he is likely to score seventeen, eighteen, nineteen or twenty points.
- Player Actions: In this situation, the player must score more points than the dealer when the ten is released. For example, if the dealer showed a seven, the player needs to score 17 points exactly or more.
- Situation 3: Sometimes, regardless of the dealer’s open card, the players do not buy at 12-15 points, fearing to go overboard. They prefer to stop at 12 versus 7 or 13 versus 8.
- Player Action: In the basic blackjack strategy, we have to draw another card, even if it seems like a mistake. The exception is when we count cards according to the plus or minus strategy and have a positive real account . In this situation, a dozen is quite likely, and we can refuse to further set of cards.
- Situation 4: At some point, the player decides that the casino creators are not stupid and that the dealer’s strategy is perfect. He begins to adhere to the same rules: he takes cards up to 17 and does not even stop at 16 points.
- Player Actions: When the dealer shows cards from 2 to 6, the chances of winning are reduced. In other cases (7, 8, 9, 10 and ace), the strategy of gaining the same amount (dealer’s card + 10) and more points is statistically justified. It also makes sense to take a card with 16 points.
Basic strategy in one table:
Blackjack decision table for 4+ decks
Decision table when playing with one deck
Using the table is easy. First, count your points, find this amount vertically and at the same time look horizontally for the dealer’s face up card. At the intersection of these values there will be an instruction for action. For example, a player has 10 points, and the dealer handed himself a three – at the intersection we see the letter D, which means a doubling of the bet (Double). For the convenience of players, we have placed both versions of the tables right on this page. Your best bet is to bookmark your browser and open it every time you play blackjack.
Decoding of table values:
All possible actions in blackjack are outlined below for beginners. Red denotes a set of cards, yellow – a stop, blue – a doubling of the bet. The rest of the colors mean the following:
- H – Add another card. Hit.
- S – S – Do not take any more. Stay.
- D – Double the current rate. Double.
- Ds – If the rules allow – double. Otherwise, stop. Double or Stay.
- P – Split the pair and continue to buy. Split.
- H / P – Split cards if the rules allow doubling the bet after the split. Otherwise, we just take another card. Hit or Split.
- S / P – Split cards if the rules allow doubling the bet after splitting. Otherwise, we just stand. Stay or Split.
- D / P – Split cards if you can double after split. Otherwise, we double the rate. Split or Double.
- H / R – Surrender, if allowed by the rules. Otherwise, we take another card. Hit or Surrender.
- S / R – Surrender, if allowed by the rules. Otherwise, we will remain with our own people. Stay or Surrender.
The basic strategy is a conservative version of blackjack. Its use allows you to reduce the house edge to 0.5%. Try to combine the card counting system and basic strategy. Together, these two tools will help you get a positive expected value and win at the casino. Playing by table values without any modifications is ideal for beginners. In this way, you can quickly learn how to play blackjack and make decisions on your own in the future.